Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 03:40:09 EEST

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 19:33, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:23:32PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 07:04:58PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > > - Left button to turn knob (radially)
> >
> > Left button to turn knob linearly up/down.
> > Ctrl-Left to fine adjust 1/10th scale or whatever.
>
> It seems like there are as many preferences as users. How about
> ~/.knobrc ;)
>
> - Steve

User configuration is an option, but annoying. I for one am far too
lazy to implement all that stuff. :)

I think if we clash enough opinions and discuss it a bit, we can come up
with a behavior that pleases everyone though.

I personally like (so far anyway):

- left click/drag adjusts radially
- control click adjust linearly (x axis coarse adjust, y axis fine
adjust)
- middle click resets to default/0/whatever
- right click for context menu

There's radial adjustment (both coarse and fine, plus the visually
obvious default), both fine and coarse linear adjustment, resetting and
context menu.

Other than perhaps the linear fans disliking the hotkey, seems pretty
good to me. I have alt pressed > 80% of the time I use my machine
anyway, hotkeys are okay. Apple's UI people seem to think so anyway...

-DR-