Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 04:00:11 EEST

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:40:09PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> - left click/drag adjusts radially

I just can't get used to radial turning, I find it obnoxious, and know
many who feel the same. Linear was obvious to me. Radial was very
non-obvious.

> - control click adjust linearly (x axis coarse adjust, y axis fine
> adjust)

no! Having the two axes mean different things is bad. No one mouses in a
perfectly straight line.

> - middle click resets to default/0/whatever
> - right click for context menu

There really needs to be some global option for radial vs. linear knobs.
I want all my knobs linear, always.

so I see:
* left-click = coarse asjust (radial or linear)
* ctrl+left-click = fine adjust
* double-click = edit

I don't like a 'reset' button. Reset to what? 0? the preset? the last
save-point? If there has to be a 'reset' it should be in the context menu
(though I guess I don't feel too strongly about it :)

Too many clicky options is confoosing.