Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}
From: eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 14:09:00 EEST

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) On 09 Jun 2004 21:10 , Michael Ost <most_AT_museresearch.com> sent:

>On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:56, Dave Robillard wrote:
>> I don't think I could possibly care less who uses 'linux audio'. I
>> don't really think anyone else here should either - we should be aiming
>> to build the best system possible, period. Not saying "look! popular
>> software the people pay money for does this; therefore we must too!"
>
>I'm with a company trying to make money off of linux audio. While I
>enjoy the technical/academic discursion (though lots get the
>subject-line only review! %), I'd like to think this list could support
>those who mix the market with idealism.... like, well, me.

    There's no reason that it can't. Paul wants to make money from Ardour and I
don't blame him a bit.

>> If anything, we should be looking at the proprietary music software
>> world to make sure we avoid repeating their mistakes (ridiculous
>> duplication of effort, lock-in, and horrid UIs for example), not
>> duplicating them just because. (Not to say we can't take positive
>> things from that world too though)
>
>Should I drop off the list? I ain't the same 'we' you are, I guess.

    That was exactly Dave's point. Marek wants some kind of "we" thing going on.
 He wants us all to march off in solidarity in the direction he chooses and it
just doesn't work that way. You want to make money, I don't care, Dave doesn't
care, Paul wants to make money... There is no single correct direction here.

Jan