Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 01:00:21 EEST

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:28:17 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> There is chasm both broad and deep between
> >>
> >> "plugin, show your GUI now"
> >>
> >> and an actual implementation of such functionality.
> >
> >Yeah osc.udp://localhost:2134/ui/show ;) I'm very much in favour of
> >simple, UNDERcomplicated solutions. If you make its easy to do almost
> >everything and possible to do hard things I think you get the best
> >protocol / API / design.
>
> for DSSI, this seems great. but for LADSPA it seems like a major
> change in philosophy, one that would turn LADSPA into DSSI. i am not
> opposed to that, in fact i think its a fairly good idea, but i think
> we need to be clear about that if that is in fact the general idea.

To be clear, it make no changes to LADSPA - its a completely external
spec, and doesnt include any of the plugin stuff from DSSI.

> >Its out of process. Sounds like torben wants to swallow the plugin UI,
> >thats kinda neat, didn't think anyone would bother, but we should take
> >that into account.
>
> yeah, returning an XID sounds like a nice touch there.

Yup, I dont really understand the X realted issues, but I'm happy to let
it be someone elses problem.

> btw, i guess we should get busy with LADSPA v2 soon, eh?

Yup, but I dont think we got consensus on the metadata format, which is
kinda fundamnetal. For the record, I (still) think we should use a
restricted subset of RDF/N3.

- Steve