Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 01:04:41 EEST

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:25:46 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask (after actually
> reading the DSSI RFC)
>
> Is there anything really soft synth specific about DSSI? Should it be
> DAPI (disposable audio plugin interface).

You have to care about MIDI to some extent. Unless you actually want some
of the features sticking with LADSPA seems like a better idea. The DSSI
API is a bit heftier than LADSPAs.

> I was thinking about implementing a complicated delay (kinda like
> tapiir) in DSSI and realised it's a bit of a contradiction.

Not technologically, its just a name. I have some things that would be
better done in DSSI that LADSPA, but mostly things that tend towards
synthyness.

- Steve