Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sliders

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sliders
From: Florian Schmidt (mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 04:18:53 EEST

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:23:52 -0400
Dave Robillard <drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca> wrote:

> I think that's a really good idea.. the 'base' slider could be really
> small (ie the size of a knob), but the movement would be linear, and
> with variable precision.. and it seems like it would be immediately
> obvious how to use the thing.
>
> It'd be a pain to implement though. Can Gtk/Qt even do stuff like this?

I have question though:

The initial click on a slider usually changes the position, so if the "base" fader is very small, the initial click to grab the slider is bound to make large accidental leaps, which of course can be corrected afterwards by moving away to the side from the slider thus gaining fine control..

The same thing always bothered me about cubase vst knobs. the initial grab changes the position which can be annoying.. in vst you could draw a larger circle around the knob and thus got bigger precision. The basic principle is the same, as is the problem.. a method around it would be to have a right mouse click [or whatever] zoom up the larger slider unchanged, this zoomed slider then waits for the grab and disappears as soon as the button is released..

Florian Schmidt

--
Palimm Palimm!