Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 09:57:11 EEST

Tim Hockin wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:09:08PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>

>>Tim Hockin: please elaborate about velocity sensitve knobs like
>>used by OhmForce.
>>

>When you move the mouse slowly, you get very fine control. When you move
>it faster, the control gets coarser. So you can move a knob from 0.0 to
>1.0 quickly with a fast mouse gesture, or you can move it from 0.5 to 0.6
>very slowly.
>

>>For those who think radial is bad: in that case knobs shouldn't
>>be used at all! (Tim Hockin: it makes no sense to disagree to a
>>half sentence/meaning!) Popping up a slider doesn't help much,
>>the nature of the control should be clear right away.
>>

>I'm still going to put my bet on linear. If you do a usability study of
>linear vs radial, I bet linear will be more obvious and easy to control.
>And you will not convince me otherwise until I see a usability test done
>with non-LAD users :)

Hello? See my previous post re: mouse wheel. There is a *perfect*
mapping between a knob and the
mouse wheel, much more straightforward than for any other hardware control.

This is getting increasingly common on Windows, and makes so much more
sense than any other approach
that I am starting to consider any other behavior to be broken. Of
course, on some supposedly modern
Linux distros you still can't count on the thing to even be detected and
set up correctly. But that is another
story.

This discussion should really be about what we fall back to if there is
no mouse wheel.

Lee