Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 09:59:11 EEST

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 01:59, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:07:46AM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > > Currently I use a Fellowes (nee Cirque) touchpad as my primary mouse.
> > > It's a bit bigger than a laptop touchpad, but not by much.
> > > Like this one:
> > > http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=1795&Product_Id=813772&Product_Name=FELLOWES+99841+Internet+Glidepoint+Touchpad
> >
> > Yeah, that is small. On the other hand, it's also incredibly cheap. I
> > don't think something that size would even be precise enough for
> > controlling filter cutoff though..
> >
> > Could always buy 10 and build a nice little finger drum kit! :)
>
> yeah but how?
> i think you'd have to treat them as something other than normal
> mice for X, afaik it only allows one pointer at a time -
> i.e. multiple mice works fine but they all just control the same
> pointer.

You can define multiple pointing devices in XF86Config; people do things
like have a mouse and a tablet, etc.

If you don't want a device to control the core pointer, you just define
it but don't set it as the pointer for any screen.

Either way, you could always just not deal with setting it up in X at
all and just dealing with the USB level stuff (there's already code
around to map a joystick to MIDI I know)

-DR-