Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 21:44:00 EEST

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 12:20, Lance Blisters wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:42:42PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > Speaking of touchpads, does anyone know of a (usb) touchpad that works
> > with your finger, not just a pen? (The only ones I've seen just work
> > with the stylus, which is no good)
> >
> > I want to get one and set it up as a MIDI controller, like a poor mans
> > Kaoss Pad (and what I think would be the ultimate expressive MIDI
> > controller).
> >
> > Surely one of these things must exist?
>
> Most (all?) by default work only in relative motion mode,
> not absolute motion mode. So moving your finger a bit to the left
> sends -5 -7 -2 but you have no idea of where on the pad your
> finger is. In fact, the relative events don't even add up; move
> back and forth a from side to side a dozen times, the values tend
> do drift in some direction (the direct USB events, pre-mouse
> accelleration) So, it doesn't map onto the kaoss pad very well.
> I have an "easy-cat" usb touchpad. IIRC it has an absolute mode
> under windows, but i've seen no linux code to enable it. They
> wanted me to sign an NDA for futher info. However, this device
> is still usable for x-y parameter control, just only via relative
> motions. There are some binding files to support this device in
> GDAM's CVS repository.
>
> -geoff

Now that I think of it, with a small touchpad, relative would be okay
anyway. Not accurate enough for absolute to be that useful.

Absolute would be better, for sure, but relative would be okay - I
personally just want to be able to drag my finger around and manipulate
things in an expressive way.

-DR-