Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: lock-free data structures

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: lock-free data structures
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 02:58:15 EEST

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 01:48:43PM +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_barrier
>
> What it means practically? Any code? (Cannot check wikipedia now.)

Practically, there are memory barrier implied instructions. See the Linux
kernel for examples. I don't know how possible it is to bring all that to
user space, especially across platforms.

> Quick question: disk thread may suspend if there are no disk use.
> How the disk thread is woken up to read the lock-free buffer?

Semaphore. Every time you put something into the buffer, up() the
semaphore (after). Every time you want to take something from the buffer,
down() the semaphore, first.