Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio over Ethernet / Livewire

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio over Ethernet / Livewire
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 18:09:24 EEST

On tis, 2004-06-22 at 14:41, Steve Harris wrote:

> > > http://www.telos-systems.com/techtalk/ethernet4audio/NAB03_CHURCH_FINAL_2.pdf
>
> I'm not familiar with this sytem, but several of ther others like it realy
> are audio over /ethernet/, not audio over IP, which means you need
> dedicated (and sometimes custom, eg. in MAGiC) NICs.

If I (semi)quote from page 2 in the paper:

   Propietary audio networks are growing in popularity for connecting
   routers to each other ...
   but the downside is that they are expensive and closed.

Then I get the impression that they want to use commodity hardware and
also intend to be open (for some value of open.) This theme reoccures
several times throughout the paper.

mvh // Jens M andreasen