Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] snd-hdsp oddities

Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] snd-hdsp oddities
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 12:40:28 EEST

At Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:16:39 -0400,
Paul Davis wrote:

> >I am using the latest 2.6.7 kernel (tried also 2.6.5) but with hdsp I cannot s
> >elect anything lower than 1024x2 buffer settings in jackd without having massi
> >ve xruns.
>
> Give up on 2.6 for now. If you can't give up on it, then at least run
> all (audio) apps with the environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL set to
> 2.4.19.
>
> When the dust settles from the kernel and NPTL, 2.6 will be more
> viable. Right now, even though it works for some people, its not a
> generally viable platform for realtime audio.

Hmm, except for some sched policy setting problems on NPTL, I don't
see bigger problem than 2.4+preempt kernel. For some people,
2.4+preempt might work _casually_ better than 2.6, but it can happen
vice versa.

Shouting "DON'T USE 2.6" isn't a good solution. Though, we need to
inform to "set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL as a workaround"...

Takashi