Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack_ringbuffer_read_space() question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack_ringbuffer_read_space() question
From: Florian Schmidt (mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 21:20:08 EEST

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:52:40 +0200
Tom Szilagyi <tszilagyi_AT_users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a program with some (p)threads, and a jack ringbuffer. One
> thread is writing to the ringbuffer, and another is reading from it.
>
> The question is: is it (thread-)safe to have a _third_ thread that
> looks at the ringbuffer via jack_ringbuffer_read_space() at random
> times to determine how much data is in the ringbuffer? This third
> thread does not actually read nor write any data to/from the
> ringbuffer, just wants to know the amount of data in it.
>
> So far I didn't see any crashes/lockups, is it really safe to do this
> or just my dirty luck? :)
>
> Thanks,

As long as the third thread really never reads/writes any data from the ringbuffer it should be ok afaik.. But what is the purpose of that third thread? Do maybe the results of this third thread have side effects on the other two threads? Depending on what you do with the fill information of the ringbuffer you might get unexpected results..

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/wiki