Re: [linux-audio-dev] Song file format : ascii or binary ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Song file format : ascii or binary ?
From: Olivier Guilyardi (ml_AT_xung.org)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 19:20:14 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:16:49 +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>
>>That is, when saving song.xml, sticking a song.xml.files/ folder in the
>>same directory, to store samples.
>
> This is what audacity and ardour do, it works pretty well.

Thing is, the .mod-like standalone way of storing things still seem
pretty reliable to me. You'll never end up losing a part of your song.
Maybe that instead of yet-another-binary-format, I could use an existing
such binary format. But there are a few essential requirements:
1 - no limit on pattern length
2 - pattern nesting : a pattern's track can use another pattern as
instrument instead of a sample

Do you know of a binary format that would meet both of those ?

--
   og