Re: [linux-audio-dev] Song file format : ascii or binary ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Song file format : ascii or binary ?
From: Olivier Guilyardi (ml_AT_xung.org)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 21:26:43 EEST

Jan Weil wrote:
> What about the OOo variant?
> Put everything in a directory and make a tarball on the fly.
> That way you could always unpack the whole archive using standard tools
> and edit your text files.
> You could even use somethinkg like FLAC for the audio part...

Yeah I thought about this, and I will definitely give users the FLAC
option at some point or another. The problem with the tarball is time
and space :

Imagine you're using some 15 megs samples (a 3 minute live track for ex.)...

1 - you create a tmp directory, and copy you samples in there : you
already use twice space, and had the time to smoke a cigarette
(dangerous, you could start smoking ;)

2 - you create a tar archive from that ; second cigarette, and about 2
and half times disk space (assuming gz'ed) ; then, of course you delete
the tmp directory , but it's been a hard time

Thing is, text processing with OOo usually does not require big files,
and yet it does save slowly.

I looked around for some solution to create a tar/zip archive on-the-fly
from the memory (yeah, I load the 15 megs in ram), but couldn't find
anything... Is there a lib, or something ?

--
   og