Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: desktop and multimedia as an afterthought?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: desktop and multimedia as an afterthought?
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 08:16:16 EEST

"Martijn Sipkema" <msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com> writes:

> (the lock-free ringbuffer is a special case since the only
> synchronizing that is done, i.e. read/write access to an int, is
> done by the processor. I'm not convinced that this will work on all
> architectures)

I can't think of any architecture on which concurrent reads and writes
of a single int do not work. Do you know an example?

Note that the ringbuffer does *not* require "strong ordering" of
storage operations, just atomicity of reads and writes to a single
location, so you either get the new value or the old one and not some
mixed-up in-between garbage.

There are many more important portability issues to worry about than
that one. But comparison, assuming that mutexes always provide
priority inheritance is highly questionable and non-portable.

--
  joq