Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC for GUI-Engine communication

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC for GUI-Engine communication
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 00:31:38 EEST

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:53:25PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> Well, in a couple of hours I've managed to create a completely
> network-transparent remote controllable synth, so you succeeded in that
> regard. Liblo is awesome, nice work.

Cheers.

> Performance is my only concern now - have you done any latency
> benchmarks? I've decided to use OSC exclusively for all communication
> (including noteons) so latency is crucial. If you havn't I'd be glad to
> knock out a simple benchmark (or two) and share my results.

I haven't done any measurements, it would be interesting. I've been
working on a unix domain transport, which should generally be faster (and
probably lower lantency), but wont be network transparent of course.

Once unix domain works, TCP would be the next target, as that guarantees
that the messages arrive in the right order and so on, but is slower than
the normal UDP, and not as widely supported as unix domain and UDP.

- Steve