Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API
From: John Lazzaro (lazzaro_AT_eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 21:56:16 EEST

On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:58 AM,
linux-audio-dev-request_AT_music.columbia.edu wrote:
> Juan Linietsky <coding_AT_reduz.com.ar> writes:
>
> I tried this myself, on a 100mbit ethernet switch.. while for single
> instruments it seems okay, and latency is fine, playing full complex
> midi
> pieces in realtime had a lot of jittering...

Small playout buffers help a lot ... it doesn't take many milliseconds
of
buffering (small single-digit) to make a big difference.

Oh, time for the obligatory RTP MIDI plug:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-rtp-midi.txt
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-guide.txt

Coming closer to Last Call, Dominique Fober recently reviewed
the documents for AVT, and I'm in the process of revising -05.txt
to take his advice into account. That revision might actually be the
Last Call, we shall see ... subscribe to avt-request_AT_ietf.org if you
want to follow along.

Also, our AES presentation got in:

http://www.aes.org/events/117/papers/E.cfm

So we'll be talking in San Francisco in October, if anyone is in
the neighborhood ... AES only comes to San Francisco once
every 5 years, and so there's a lot of fun things going on at
the conference --

---
John Lazzaro
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu
---