Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 22:07:45 EEST

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 16:07, Benno Senoner wrote:
> The onlyproblem I envision if you want to synchronize multiple audio
> cards over the network.

I think jack-over-eth would be most useful for using seperate machines
to take off the DSP load and send the audio back to the master machine
which would have the audio interface (like that VST powercore stuff).

That way you could run a big expensive synth on another machine and just
have it send it's outputs back via jack (so really you wouldn't even
know it's running on another machine - just another jack port)

I'm sure someone out there would have a use for syncing cards over the
network, but personally I can't think of a reason it'd be useful, and
it's certainly not worth the effort (if it's possible at all, which I
doubt)

-DR-