Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 22:48:34 EEST

> I'm writing, because I think, that with one of your points you are wrong.
> You said, that ecasound and cecilia (and perhaps you also meant fluidsynth,
>csound...) aren't really interesting to pros. They are SO DAMN Important to a
>few users (pros and nonpros) and they are specific to linux in their design).

with much respect to julien, and much affection towards ardour/ksi, i
would point out that its essentially impossible to become a
professional audio engineer if you are sight-impaired precisely
because you cannot use protools. catch-22 situation, really.

there may be people who are sight-impaired who manage to make a living
as an audio engineer, but i would guess that i could count them all on
the fingers of one hand.

therefore, i think that john's point is not affected by this
perspective. ecasound and cecilia are fine apps, and very powerful,
but their workflow model is completely different to what the people
who get paid to do audio engineering for a living are used to doing.
the fact that they are useful (essential!) to some groups of users
doesn't change the fact that they are not useful to other groups of
users.

--p