Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee
From: Julien Claassen (julien_AT_c-lab.de)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 00:09:06 EEST

Hi Paul!
  Point taken. There are not many blind audio-engineers, but there could be
more, if they could use protools and the like. And from my earlier experience
at the C-LAB, I think - correct me if I'm wrong - especially in the US, they
are very sensitive regarding the accessibility of software and other media. If
a small group of people finally would make some noise in this field, the
usability item would look different. And - although our group is much smaller
- what you said is true vice versa: this software is hihgly useful and
important to our group and not very useful for the rest of them. So for blind
people those tools are very close to the best way of facing it. With
interfaces like this, it isn't impossible for a vision-impaired person to be a
professional audio engineer.
  Besides: I think one of the branches, that's florishing is home-recording
and semi-professional recording, which can achieve quite good quality, if the
user gets some knowledge and has good ears. In that field I could name more
than a handful of people in my direct environment alone (that is Germany).
None of them is doing it with windows. They use linux or hardware only.
  Whoops, that was emotional... Yet I wanted my point stated: It isn't
impossible for a vision-impaired person to become a pro, only people in that
branche don't think of us. That way, we are - almost - forbidden, to get
professional. - A friend of mine at BFBS had that problem.
  Kindest regards
          Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net - the Linux TextBased Studio guide