Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 21:46:13 EEST

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 09:28, Steve Harris wrote:
> The obvious problem you're likly to hit is that you still need to speak
> alsa-sequencer or something in order to get events from controllers. You
> can go pure-OSC by accepting OSC 'm' types or occam format OSC messages
> and writing a simple, external and resuable MIDI->OSC converter.
> http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~c.ramakr/illposed/occam.html

I was wondering about this the other day - is there no OSC 'standard'
for how to declare note-ons, offs, etc?

If OSC really is to become a MIDI replacement, there's needs to be an
explicitly defined standard that says "this is how a note is triggered"
IMO. Then we can start making fun things like OSC sequencers...

-DR-