Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI
From: martin rumori (lists_AT_rumori.de)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 15:43:12 EEST

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:24:20AM -0400, Pete Bessman wrote:
> At Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:49:36 +0100,
> Steve Harris wrote:
> >
> > Obejctive C is OK, it uses messages (smalltalk style) rather than method
> > calls, and they have some performance limitations, but the class stuff is
> > all sane.
>
> Good call, I forgot about it at the time of writing. It is quite
> nice, and I like how the 'id' type obviates most of the need for
> templates. The only complaint I have is that I think the class
> declaration/definition syntax is... goofy... But that's certainly
> tolerable.

sure. my only complaint is the lack of namespaces. and maybe missing
class variables, you have to use a static c thing for that.

not to mention the next foundation stuff. it's possible to write high
level portable code using gnustep on linux and cocoa on mac os x. i
just spent days of building an autoconf/automake build system that
runs both on gnustep and cocoa (avoiding gnustep-make but getting some
vars/paths out of it), had to steal some objc compiler/runtime
detection macros from different places...

but we are running straight OT now...

bests,

martin