Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 18:53:37 EEST

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 04:38, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:21:17PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 04:52, Steve Harris wrote:
> > > I dont really think OSC needs to replace MIDI, if your doing 12 tone,
> > > limited polyphony, bandwisth etc. stuff, which most people are, its fine.
> > >
> > > - Steve
> >
> > Sure, but the control issue is a nuisance, even for 'most people' -
> > assigning numbers to things just sucks - this is 2004, not 1974 :)
> >
> > It'd be nice if (when) OSC has service discovery for a synth to just
> > dump all it's parameters (valid commands), so something like a sequencer
> > could have a drop down list of what control you want to use - all with
> > nice names that actually make sense. "Controller 79" doesn't help much.
>
> Funny you should say that... I'm hoping to find time to add the propsed
> rec. for OSC service exploration/enumeration to liblo (not discovery,
> thats a seperate problem) that would allow (limited) generic OSC clients
> that coul list hte parameters of an OSC service, and witha bit of extra
> code in the OSC servers will allow you draw sliders and so on.

What do you mean by "limited", and why would drawing sliders require
extra code in the OSC servers?

Maybe I misunderstand you (likely), but it sounds like maybe a little
too much specific stuff in liblo to me, which I know you're against.
Doesn't service discovery and a standard for how to query parameters
solve this problem? (ie client discovers a new server, sends
"/send_params MY_ADDR", and gets all the information in a
standard-defined way).

Basically, I don't see what needs to be done to liblo, other than the
service discovery part.

-DR-