Re: [linux-audio-dev] Announcing the Polypaudio sound server

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Announcing the Polypaudio sound server
From: Lennart Poettering (mzynq_AT_0pointer.de)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 16:26:08 EEST

On Wed, 08.09.04 23:07, Luke Yelavich (luke_AT_audioslack.com) wrote:

> > I am pleased to announce version 0.4 of the Polypaudio sound
> > server. See
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/polypaudio/
> >
> > for more information.
>
> Sounds like a good project with some well layed out goals.

Thanks. ;-)

> > I will try to push Polypaudio into both Gnome and KDE as replacement
> > for esound resp. aRts. I am interested in your comments on Polypaudio.
> > Please comment especially on the client APIs available on
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/polypaudio/doxygen/
>
> According to the FAQ, you use gtkmm for the GUI tools. Since this is not shipped
> with either GNOME or KDE AFAIK, I don't think the GNOME/KDE developers will
> accept it unless the dependancies are changed.

There's no need in getting the GUI tools merged into Gnome. The core
of polypaudio is written in plain C, and that is all that needs to be
merged. See the GUI tools as an add-on value, for those who need it.

> Also, you state that you need a UNIX-like operating system. Do you realise that
> GNOME is run on such UNIXes such as Solaris? Will this server run on such
> UNIXes?

Yes, I am aware of that. polypaudio uses the autotools for
building. Minor porting issues and a new sound driver module should be
enough to fix it to work on Solaris.

I've not done this porting myself since I don't have access to
Solaris machines. I am looking for someone who's willing to help out
with that...

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }