Re: [linux-audio-dev] a question re: the MIDI spec

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a question re: the MIDI spec
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 18:53:47 EEST

On ons, 2004-09-08 at 15:34, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm doing some research for an article about Linux MIDI support. In my
> text I briefly describe the evolution of the MIDI specification since
> its adoption, mentioning things like MIDI Time Code, MMC, the sample
> dump standard, and the standard MIDI file. However, one item has me a
> bit mystified. I'm unable to ascertain whether multi-port interfaces are
> in fact described and supported by the spec. I checked the MMA docs
> on-line, and I also have the Sciacciaferro/De Furia MIDI Programmers
> Handbook, but nowhere do those sources indicate explicit support for
> multi-port hardware. Are multi-port MIDI interfaces vendor-specific
> solutions or is there actually an extension to the MIDI spec somewhere
> that I'm just missing ? TIA!

Muliport-interfaces were included in the initial discussions on the MIDI
standard and referred to as "star systems":

       tape-sync
           ¦
        +-----+
    <---| SEQ |--->
        +-----+

It was thought that a single interface would be good enough for stage
and budget systems and that professional recording studios could
overcome bandwith limitations by using one port for each synth-module
attached.

No specifics regarding naming nor discovery were mentioned. I suppose
Roland, Sequential and Yamaha intended to build and sell those
sequencers all by themselves ...

The place to look for a universal standard for multiple midi-devices
would be in the USB specification. And it even appears like some vendors
are (finally!) starting to follow suit:

   http://midiman.com/products/en_us/KeystationPro88-main.html

   - "USB class compliant—no drivers required for
     Windows XP or Mac OS X"

mvh // Jens M Andreasen