Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Maybe I'm going at this wrong...?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Maybe I'm going at this wrong...?
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 20:05:34 EEST

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:02:32AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:53:48 -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> > I've set all the /proc and /sys stuff I could find in the wiki (console
> > chance, but I'm fairly sure this is new and an improvement.
> jackd does not guarantee that you wont get XRUNs when you start jack apps,
> it does some non-realtime things when you connect or disconnect apps.

Thanks Steve. I understand that. The xruns when clients
connect/disconnect are actually the only ones jackd is reporting. The
others are reported by ecasound when it exits.

> > Subjectively, the sound of the analogueOscs is smoother and the zipper
> > noise from controller movements seems much less, but still the first
> > ecasound reports xruns when it exits.
> Can you keep pestering me about that zipper noise bug? It wont take me
> long to fix, I just need to remember it needs doing when I have free
> time.

Will do. I'm going to slap together a non-realtime chain settup with
ecasound's builtin oscillator controllers instead of midi-controllers.
This will just print to a file, no realtime audio output, and will only
use ecasound and analogueOsc. So it should show if the audio glitches
and zipper noise are related to realtimeness or midi issues. I'll also
do a realtime version with ecasound's controllers.

I have vague memories of people saying on the alsa lists years ago that
ymfpci chips suck. I'm only using mine for a midi i/o. I happen to have
an es1370 sitting at home unused. Would it be worthwhile to stick that
in the box and see if the midi on that works any better? or is this
unlikely to be a midi problem at all?

> I really need to set up some kind of bugtracking thing for swh-plugins,
> but its not that easy, because of the hundreds of small lumps of code, and
> installing and hacking something it will cut into valuable bugfixing time
> :-/ I was hoping to use some kind of modular wiki, so I can embedd a wiki
> block in some online docs, with some way to indicate bugs, but the only
> really modular one I've come across was written in JSP :(

Well, maybe. I've wondered at times why there isn't a swh-ladspa mailing
list. I've never managed to get into wiki editing for various reasons. A
mailing list might be simpler to set up. If you want I could probably
host a mailman list on my server at home. Heck, we host the portaudio
list here at work, so I could probably convince the bossmen to host a
list for you, too. Just a thought. I suppose you would have already
been hosting a list yourself at plugin.org.uk if you wanted that.

-Eric Rz.