[linux-audio-dev] Re: This better not be patented...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: This better not be patented...
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 15:23:54 EEST

Here is one of music-dsp articles (critical date becomes important).
http://aulos.calarts.edu/pipermail/music-dsp/2004-May/027009.html
Perhaps they read that article, patented and implemented during the
summer. I don't know.

Juhana

 == cut ==

 Bill Baldwin wbaldwin at austin.rr.com
 Sat May 1 15:18:11 PDT 2004

It's definitely possible, but far from convenient or optimal with today's
hardware.

The h/w is steadily getting better, but you'd likely run into FP precision
issues on many cards.

The new pixel shader 3.0 h/w is starting to appear and will become more
common over the next year - this extends the instruction length of shaders,
adds better flow control, and lots of other stuff that increases the
potential for doing interesting audio processing.

Getting the data in and out is another issue - you could treat an audio
channel as a 1-dimensional texture, turn off h/w filtering, etc. - but you'd
end up locking resources very frequently to write your input and read back
your output, which tends to stall the graphics pipeline and thus slow things
down.

Still, it's worth exploring given that all that GPU power that your
sequencer is ignoring...

-Bill