Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tastes like chicken!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tastes like chicken!
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 14:52:45 EET

Hey John:

  I'll chime in with some kudos for the tune, but I agree with your own
assessment re: the vocal, it does need to come forward. No point in
singing words if they can't be heard or understood, yes ?

  Vocals are often a problem for people who don't particularly think of
themselves as "good" singers (whatever that means: is Bob Dylan a "good"
singer ?), and there's a resulting tendency to put the vocals too far
back in the mix. The thought is often to truly "mix" the vocals in with
the instruments, but I suggest taking it the other way on, i.e., mixing
the instruments against the voice. The song is the thing, its melody and
lyrics must be clearly heard (or at least clearly sensed: I can't
usually understand the lyrics to Mudvayne but at least their man is out
front). One of my favorite local musicians made a wonderful album years
ago, but the one mistake he made on it was to mix his voice too deeply
into the instrumental sounds. He told me he wished he hadn't done so,
and that his decision was based on his poor opinion of his own singing.
Sometimes it's best to get another opinion, I guess that's part of the
function of a good producer.

  No tubby sound here, probably because my monitoring system is fairly
decent. The instrumental mix has a nice loose sound to it that
complements the song. I agree with Florian re: the character of the
tune, the sounds really match the intent of the lyrics. Good stuff,
let's hear some more !

  Btw, perhaps this thread is more on-topic on the users list ?

Best,

dp