Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 17:25:43 EET

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:35, R Parker wrote:
> --- Marek Peteraj <marpet_AT_naex.sk> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 23:21, Lee Revell wrote:
> > say this. Personally,
> > source driver would be
> > where did I put my
> > >
> > > Eh, it's a slow day, I'm bored. But I mean it
> > 100%. Flame away...
> > >
> > > So, the next question is, what would it take to
> > make a closed source
> > > driver happen? They should start the bidding on
> > alsa-devel at "one free
> > > FireFace"...
> >
> > Lee and Jan,
> >
> > i talk to you as an owner of fireface. :)
> >
> > I really like the philosophy of not letting any
> > closed source drivers
> > into the kernel. In the end i only saw people upset
> > because their XY
> > nvidia or ATI driver wasn't working. Besides they'd
> > need to provide it
> > themselves, which means a lot more money than just
> > handing out
> > documentation or perhaps one free unit.
> >
> > My point of view - either open source alsa driver,
> > or i'll just sell
> > that unit. And now that they have accused me of
> > causing damage to RME
> > specifically because of this thread, i can only say,
> > i'll stay away from
> > any of their products. Speaking of damage, i'd like
> > to see a slashdot
> > story about this so that 30.000 people can judge for
> > themselves. :)
>
> I really hope you don't do that.

My intention wasn't to post that on /. at least not now. I was thinking
out loud. Of course, in case we did a market survey it would definitely
be needed.

> RME has provided
> "Pro" grade audio hardware when Linux Audio needed it
> in order to become a legitimate alternative to
> proprietary solutions.

Not really. It was Paul, Thomas, and one other guy(don't remember the
name) who did. Remember it was almost no investment from RME's side.

They got a lot of units sold in return and built a very good reputation
based on that fact and this went beyond the linux audio world i believe.

> I hope you consider how much
> work has gone into Linux Audio

But that's what i'm talking about. So much effort, oustanding
technologies(although i know the authors won't admit ;)
and they(hw manufacturers) don't care!

> and how difficult it is
> to develop that type of business relationship.

There is no relationship. The only real manufacturer from the POV of
linux audio is audioscience(.com), which unfortunately does only
broadcast hw.
They do ALSA drivers, provide support and invest their time and money in
doing so. They deserve highest respect for that considering the current
situation.

That's how it should be. And this is what we should fight for.

> Whether you are in the right or wrong, is it
> inconcievable for you to act for the interests of many
> people by selling the unit and getting something else?

Not sure i understand. I'm about to sell my fireface copy as i declared
previously. Of course if there's any way i could help out other people
here in keeping the unit, i'm prepared to do so.

Marek