Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 03:38:14 EET

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 04:17 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > So Linus is ignorant, huh? Have you thought about why he allows binary
> > drivers? He certainly could choose not to.
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/21/141225&tid=190&tid=106
> See post by slux.

That is a perfectly valid point. But those are all arguments for why
open source drivers are better than binary only (which I don't disagree
with). They do not really make a case for whether Linux should allow
binary drivers in the first place. Some kernel developers disagree with
Linus' policy. I happen to agree with it.

Anyway I am not sure how much more can be said, the "should we allow
binary drivers" argument has been rehashed many times and it's something
we have to agree to disagree on. You are free to not buy it. If I
choose to buy an Nvidia card I know that I will have to use a binary
driver but that I can probably use a recent kernel and it will work. If
I choose to buy some other random hardware with a binary driver that
only runs on RH9 or something then that is also my choice.

This issue affects more than just drivers BTW. If you want to run
Oracle on linux you can't expect to just use any distro and expect the
binaries to work - your Oracle rep will tell you exactly which distro
and kernel version you need. Does that "limit your freedom"? Hell no,
you could have chosen not to run Oracle. Same way you don't have to buy
a Fireface or an Nvidia card.

Lee