Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 01:11:40 EET

On Tue, 2004-30-11 at 20:38 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> This issue affects more than just drivers BTW. If you want to run
> Oracle on linux you can't expect to just use any distro and expect the
> binaries to work - your Oracle rep will tell you exactly which distro
> and kernel version you need. Does that "limit your freedom"? Hell no,
> you could have chosen not to run Oracle. Same way you don't have to buy
> a Fireface or an Nvidia card.
>
> Lee

Once that precedent is set and every single card (or software or..) you
can get is proprietary, it limits your freedom doesn't it?

These things must be thought of on a long-term scale, not just what
happens to be the situation right now. Otherwise it will be too late
before anyone bothers to care. One day you'll wake up and realize a
free database solution (or sound card or...) doesn't even exist, then
there's quite an uphill battle compared to the situation now.

Like I said earlier in this thread, thinking proprietary drivers are a
good thing is nothing but short-sightedness.

-DR-