Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 06:49:19 EET

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 18:49, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Oh sure they can, as it was the case with iriver.
> >2 years ago their forums were full of hatefilled msgs just because
> >people demanded ogg vorbis and were ignored.(or at least it seemed so,
> >no response from iriver).
>
> there's no proof that it was hate-filled messages that convinced
> iriver of anything. there were plenty of behind-the-scenes and on-list
> messages that were not full of invective.

Does any of the alsa developers know or remember exactly why digigram
changed their minds about open source drivers for the pcmcia cards
(vxpocket)? Or were they reverse-engineered? We exchanged some emails
with them some years ago (around March 2000), asking for information to
develop alsa drivers, but they offered to sell a Driver Development Kit
to us ("it usually runs several tens of thousands of dollars") - and
there was a thread about them in alsa-devel as well at that time[*].

-- Fernando

Also:
http://www.alsa-project.org/call.php

[*] for example, google for "I would try to open personal dialogue with
engineers" and hit the google cache (I can't get to geocrawler). There
were more interesting and pertinent posts in that thread.