Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 23:56:03 EET

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 21:02 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 05:56:03PM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> > Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be> writes:
> >
> > > For the same reasons, there would be no need to upgrade your Linux
> > > version, and you don't need driver updates. The current closed-source
> > > driver will still work in 5 years.
> >
> > Now, you're twisting everything to fit a twisted view. Software is
> > changed much more often than hardware.
>
> Yes. And you can't expect a manufacturer of a e.g. soundcard to update
> all drivers each time you or any other customer decide to upgrade his
> system. If *you* modify your system and thereby make an existing driver
> useless, then it's up to *you* to find a solution
[snip]

Exactly, *you* should have the ability to actually find that solution
for *your* system. Proprietary drivers take this ability away from you,
so in that situation.. *you* are screwed.

Nobody ever said the manufacturer should be responsible for supporting
any and all new configurations - that's riduclous. The entire point is
they /shouldn't/ be responsible, so people aren't at their mercy.

ATI is almost certainly not going to write a driver for my Radeon for
whatever incarnation of X we're using in 5 years. Will it work however?
Absolutely. It's essentially a guarantee, given the ease of converting
the existing (XFree) driver to other frameworks.

Sounds like you've switched sides, Fons.

-DR-