Re: [linux-audio-dev] Patents on some Linux OS code

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Patents on some Linux OS code
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 22:57:20 EET

>Then I dont understand why there are companies pushing for the aproval of
>software patents in europe and worldwide. To patent stupid things and not
>using these patents for anything?

fear, and copycat behaviour. there is this idea (inspired by IBM and
others) of building a "patent portfolio" that could be used
defensively if sued by other patent holders. as in "ok, you sued me
for infringing on Foo, i'll sue you for infringing on Bar". But most
owners of patents Foo or Bar can't risk actually suing because their
patent is stupid.

its the kind of stupid game that you'd have hoped ended when we left
the school playing field.

--p