Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 00:09:43 EET

On Sunday 19 December 2004 11:32 am, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 12:45, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 03:15:51AM +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > > I have studied scales from apart the world since I was a teenager.
> >
> > Great ! Do you make the results of your efforts available somewhere ?
>
> Now you're imposing the same kind of attitude on Jens. ;)
>
> > > That (Scala) package reveals *nada* that isn't already well known.
> >
> > If you have some pointers to similar packages, please share them
> > with us.
>
> I think this isn't the point. The point is, that even if the application
> itself is free as in beer, you may encounter problems when trying to run
> it, like:
> ./scala: error while loading shared libraries: libgnarl-3.4.so: cannot
> The closed source model just isn't flexible enough in the open source
> world since more technically capable users are not allowed to fix such
> problems on their own and contribute by sending back.
> With windows you always get one and the same OS which is governed by one
> company, so a closed source model is more likely to work under such
> conditions.
> Once such application becomes unmaintained, there's little or no hope
> for using it any further if the source code isn't available.
> There are too many dependencies, too many libraries that advance each
> day in terms of code and version numbers, and too many configurations,
> combinations thereof, which means that a closed source model isn't
> feasible under linux at all.

I think that Scala is highly regarded is refutation enough of that particular
fallacy.
It's not a black or white situation. It's been established that code is
available to build binaries.
The situation regarding the need to build from scratch is exacerbated
by the pace of development.
If one can provide binaries for a baseline
system (which is what someone who is not a developer is likely to be running),
it's a reasonable alternative to having to manage a full blown project.

Every extra developer adds administrative overhead. Accounts must be
established, patches inspected, debates resolved, boo-boos kissed. Not
everybody has time for the drama.