[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violate patents]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violate patents]
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 19:59:47 EET

>From: Pau Arumi <parumi_AT_iua.upf.es>
>
>They showed two systems Sutherland and MATRIX (I know nothing about them).

Matrix could be predecessor of Matlab.
It was available via ftp a couple of years ago, and perhaps
even now. I have it somewhere in my archives. If the text
on the case indicates that Matrix has GUI and dataflow systems,
then I'm not sure if that Matrix is the same: Matlab was
just a matrix processing language at the start, if I remember
correctly.

Sutherland must be of R. Sutherland 1966 something which is
mentioned in the comp.lang.visual FAQ. I will search the
literature. If I remember correctly, E. Surherland built
first interactive graphics editor at 1961-62 with 2D constrained
object manipulation. Then (his brother?) R. Sutherland extended
it to 3D at 1963. These ideas included the build of circuit
diagrams. The E. Sutherland's paper at 1962 mentions that
the drawn circuit can be used "as is" in simulation. So, I'm
curious how these ideas had evolved prior to 1966.

I recently picked up circuit simulation papers back from 1960-1970.
If anyone of you want to know faster what is on them, please
mail me and we check them together.

Juhana