Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 01:07:57 EET

On Mon, 2004-20-12 at 19:59 +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se>
> >
> >Me? No not litle me :) But let us see ... This stuff was formalized in
> >India a few thousind years ago, so if we google for:
> >
> > google: raga intonation scale
> >
> >Then we get:
> > Modes and Ragas: More Than just a Scale
> > http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m11633/latest/
>
> So why don't we all together write software similar to Scala?
> What Scala does? How and for what musicians use it?
>
> The topic sounds similar to Arabic Magams. I have listed some
> of them from a book, but I'm not exactly sure how they are used.
> I have improvised, though.
>
> Juhana

Has anyone even tried convincing the author to open source it? Making a
basic tuning app would be really easy, but duplicating all the things
scala does would take forever.

I mean, it's free of charge, and the source is available - it's not like
he has anything to lose by properly open sourcing it.

If he has issues with control, or people "stealing" scala, just explain
the GPL. Any changes must be published as source, so noone can "steal"
it.

I guess the big hurdle might be the "no commercial" part. Some people
aren't very fond of the idea of other people selling their software.

It sure would be nice to have Scala in Debian (and other distros)
though. Even if it is written in Ada. :)

-DR-

P.S. PLEASE no stupid flames/trolls about open source not mattering or
whatever. Seriously.