Re: [linux-audio-dev] Some input/feedback required

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 22:58:59 EET

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 17:55 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Hello LAD,
>
> Best wishes for 2005 to all !
>
> During the Xmas period I've been working on a small app called
> 'oscxyam'. It basically a 2-D control pad with OSC output.
> I wrote it to control sclang and scsynth, but it could be used
> to send continuous control parameters to any OSC controlled
> application.
>
> There are 4 'maps', each containing up to 12 'dots'. Moving
> a dot sends out a configurable OSC control message, normally
> containing the (transformed) X,Y coordinates of the dot.
> Transformations include linear, exponential and polar.
> For example, to set SC3's control busses 4 and 5 you would use:
>
> /c_set ,ifif 4 X 5 Y
>
> You'll find a link to a screenshot on the usual place:
>
> <http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio>
>
> There are currently three ways to move a dot (linked to
> mouse buttons 1,2,3 but that could change):
>
> 1. A message is sent for each X11 motion event.
> 2. A message is sent only when the dot is released.
> 3. No messages are sent, when the dot is released it
> starts flashing. A click on the "Trig" buttong then
> sends the update messages for all such dots at the
> same time.
>
> Now before I release this, I'd appreciate some inputs on
> other potential 'modes', and how these should be controlled,
> and also suggestions for additional features. For example
> the message could include the mouse button used, or shift
> states etc.
> There are endless possibilities, but I want to include
> only those that potential users find useful, rather than
> just nice but confusing.

Awesome. I've been wanting something like this for a long time now.

As for features, I'd say the best way to get realistic/useful requests
is just to release it and let people figure out what they want by using
it. (I do like Steve's "spring" idea though)

On a semi-related note, I _really_ think we need to start getting some
sort of service discovery for OSC apps.

-DR-