Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still on usx2y

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 18:03:49 EET

Antonio "Willy" Malara wrote:

> Zeryn:/home/willy/jack-0.99.44.11cvs# jackd -v -d usx2y -d hw:0,2
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/local/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/local/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/local/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/local/lib/jack/jack_usx2y.so

What? Look: this jack_usx2y.so thing is surely outdated--it belongs to my
older jackd versions, where usx2y support was implemented on a stand-alone
backend driver.

Please, I urge you to remove all jack related stuff from
/usr/local/{bin,lib,include} and then (re)install the newer one. Don't
tell me I didn't warn you ;)

> jackd 0.99.44.11cvs

The new (official) usx2y backend was merged into the alsa one, so you
better run the newer jackd with the "alsa" driver instead of the, now
vanished, "usx2y". Start it like this:

a) Using the plain alsa pcm interface:

   jackd -d alsa -d hw:0

b) Using the bleeding-edge usx2y hwdep pcm (aka "rawusb") interface:

   jackd -d alsa -d hw:0,2

Both modes are perfectly legal but, with this later one, you can run on
much lower latency settings (e.g. -p64 -n2) without crackling your ears :)

Be advised however, that you get far better results if you're running
jackd in realtime mode (-R) *and* under the help of a RT capable kernel,
like 2.6.10-mm1 with Ingo's V0.7.34-01 realtime-preempt patch.

If you really want to work on your us122, seriously, I guess there's no
better way to get around it. IMHO.

Bye now.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela