Re: [linux-audio-dev] seeking minimal C++ library for ear-training

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 16:11:53 EET

Hallo,
Jeffrey Brown hat gesagt: // Jeffrey Brown wrote:

> All I'll ever need is a library that will let me
> playback a sample at a certain set of frequencies --
> like 6 at a time (bass tone, high tone, and a
> four-note chord) -- until keyboard input signals it to
> stop. In fact, even that's more than I need -- if
> playing a sample is hard, I'd be perfectly happy
> listening to square waves.

Although it's always good practice to develop such things in your
favourite language, there already are a lot of programs doing it,
which with a bit of scripting can be made to do the additional
question stuff.

I'm notorius for recommending Pd here: http://www.puredata.org as an
easy to use modular synth which handles various types of data like
strings, numbers and lists, too. It also offers objects for reading
keyboard input, it is network aware, so you could access it from C++
as well, and you can extend it with "externals" written in everyone's
favourite language (C, C++, Scheme/Lisp, Python, Forth).

Worth a try, IMO.

Other than that I do think, for C++ the SndObj-library is really
great, not that hard to learn and very much worth to look into.

Ciao