[linux-audio-dev] seeking minimal C++ library for ear-training

From: Jeffrey Brown <address_of_jeff_brown@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 07:22:09 EET

Hi everyone. It's an honor to be read by you. I'm
not a professional programmer, but I wrote some
text-based C++ programs that quiz me on musical stuff,
and was so pleased that I want to do something similar
with musical tones.

All I'll ever need is a library that will let me
playback a sample at a certain set of frequencies --
like 6 at a time (bass tone, high tone, and a
four-note chord) -- until keyboard input signals it to
stop. In fact, even that's more than I need -- if
playing a sample is hard, I'd be perfectly happy
listening to square waves.

I've looked at some audio libraries (OpenAL,
Penguinsound, Sound Object Library) but they're all
very intense, designed to do far more than I could
even understand, let alone want.

Is there a non-threatening, perhaps even
easy-to-install, C++ library that will do what I have
in mind?

(In case it's relevant, I run Mandrake Linux 10.1
Official, KDE, ALSA, and an old Sound Blaster Live. I
often go to the San Fernando Valley LUG, in Los
Angeles, California.)

Thanks in advance,
Jeff