Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards...

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 23:00:31 EET

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:18:02PM +0000, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> Hi peeps.
> Just looking for some quick advice about a new soundcard.
> I'm looking at getting something like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.
> This is to replace a SB Live! Value.
> Does this seem like a sensible (though cheap) move? I'm expecting a
> better card.

Certainly.

> The reason I'm thinking about changing to something not hugely
> dissimilar is because under ALSA, I'm rally not impressed with my SB.
> The volumes seem wrong - loudest seems to clip before it's off the
> card. I have no use for all those fancy effects that it does, since I
> can't make use of them in my setup anyway.

There's been a thread going on for the past week or two on
linux-audio-user about an alternative driver for the emu10k1 cards. It
sounds like a lot more of the functionality is useable with this driver.
I didn't pay close attention to the thread, though, since I don't have
one of these cards. Check the archives.

> Up until now, I've been using headphones mostly, with a couple of sets
> of cheapo speakers as monitors, with a super cheap amp.
> I'm about to splash out on some real nearfield monitors and a real
> monitoring amp, although I'll still be spending less than £350 (That's
> UK pounds, in case the symbol doesn't come out as it should - there's
> a reason I'm not sure it will, but let's not get into that).

came out fine here. I think it depends on the recipient system's locales
setting or something.

> With a nicer monitoring setup, obviously I want a decent soundcard.
> Does the Audiophile work well with ALSA? Are there any better
> alternatives? Am I being silly, and can just somehow "fix" my
> SBLive/ALSA setup?

The audiophile, like all ice1712 cards, is very well supported by alsa.
The delta series (44, 66, 1010, 1010lt) all use this same chipset and
driver, as do several good cards by some other manufacturers.
envy24control is a great mixer app included in the alsa-tools
specifically for use with these cards. Many linux users are happy with
their flavor of ice1712, myself included.

On the other hand, you may be able to get more out of your sblive using
the newer drivers.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Engineer I
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia