[linux-audio-dev] Soundcards...

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 22:18:02 EET

Hi peeps.

Just looking for some quick advice about a new soundcard.

I'm looking at getting something like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

This is to replace a SB Live! Value.

Does this seem like a sensible (though cheap) move? I'm expecting a
better card.

The reason I'm thinking about changing to something not hugely
dissimilar is because under ALSA, I'm rally not impressed with my SB.
The volumes seem wrong - loudest seems to clip before it's off the
card. I have no use for all those fancy effects that it does, since I
can't make use of them in my setup anyway.

Up until now, I've been using headphones mostly, with a couple of sets
of cheapo speakers as monitors, with a super cheap amp.

I'm about to splash out on some real nearfield monitors and a real
monitoring amp, although I'll still be spending less than £350 (That's
UK pounds, in case the symbol doesn't come out as it should - there's
a reason I'm not sure it will, but let's not get into that).

With a nicer monitoring setup, obviously I want a decent soundcard.
Does the Audiophile work well with ALSA? Are there any better
alternatives? Am I being silly, and can just somehow "fix" my
SBLive/ALSA setup?

All advice welcomed,

James

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)