Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards...

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 10:35:02 EET

On Thu, 27 Jan, 2005 at 05:23PM -0500, Lee Revell spake thus:
> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 20:18 +0000, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > Hi peeps.
> >
> > Just looking for some quick advice about a new soundcard.
> >
> > I'm looking at getting something like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.
> >
> > This is to replace a SB Live! Value.
> >
> > Does this seem like a sensible (though cheap) move? I'm expecting a
> > better card.
>
> Make sure the tone control switch is muted. It's not enough to set bass
> and treble to 0, you have to disable the switch.

Well, that's not how it works on my card. I have to have the tone
control unmuted and the bass turned down to about 25% to stop
clipping. If I mute it, the volume seems equivalent to having them
both at 50%.

Stange.

> I am working on improving the emu10k1 driver. But, the Audiophile is
> certainly a better card. You get what you pay for, and the SBLive value
> is pretty amazing for a $20 soundcard but it's still a $20 soundcard.

It was $100 when I bought it, which is about how much I can get
the Audiophile for now. I'm just waiting for the cost of every other
item I want to fall to this price, too.

> Lee

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)