Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mx41 update

From: Robert Jonsson <rj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 22:27:48 EET

Hi,

söndagen den 30 januari 2005 01.28 skrev Jens M Andreasen:
> On lör, 2005-01-29 at 21:42 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > lördagen den 29 januari 2005 21.12 skrev Robert Jonsson:
> > > Hey there,
> > >
> > > I just realised that Mx41 now supports both alsa and jack :).
>
> Mx41 have supported alsa and jack since the renaming from Mx4 to mx41. A
> limited version have been in circulation in beta since late autumn/early
> winter with a warning that specs might change.

Just me that don't pay attention then :)

> > > I took it for a spin though the result was very confusing. It seems OSS
> > > is still used even if alsa is detected, atleast it seemed I don't have
> > > to connect anything in alsa to get my external keyboard to make sound
> > > through it.
>
> Correct. Mx41 will assume you'd like to play right away and grab midi-in
> if possible. But if you start, say Rosegarden first, it will be happy to
> supply just an Alsa interface. And yes, you can have one application
> using the Alsa interface and still play along with it using OSS.

I want to use it through MusE, same use case I guess.
It seems to me it always supplies the OSS connection regardless if there is
anything connected over alsa.
I've connected the synth to MusE and regardless if I enable midi on the
selected track the synth happily plays along with what I do on the keyboard,
I also cannot find any connections through alsa so I assume it's the OSS
connection.

> > > Also I was unable to switch patches, infact, nothing I did in the GUI
> > > seemed to change anything...
> > > Is there some beginners error I'm doing?
>
> This is strange and definately not intended? Can yo elaborate?

Ah. I got it working, the synth was sending out midi on channel four or some
such, so all changes I made to the instance on ch 1 had no effect what so
ever. ;-) beginners error.

Ofcourse the editing started to work also. I was going to complain that it was
hard to edit the settings for just one oscillator when it occured to me that
there was a volume for each of them. Turning it down made it work out just
fine.
Not that the sound I got out of it really sounded like anything ;) I'm quite
inexperienced with editing synths.

<....>

> > Lastly, updating it to a DSSI would be a great feat for the integration
> > possibilities.
>
> Use the source! Patches are welcome ...

Hehe, we'll see ;-)

Regards,