Re: [linux-audio-dev] Developing a music editor/sequencer

From: vanDongen/Gilcher <gml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 12:30:44 EET

On Sunday 30 January 2005 10:54, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> If the answer is yes, and you want such a tool, then my pragmatic response
> would be to bite the bullet and learn to use things like SuperCollider.
> They wil give you complete freedom (and a hard time to exploit it), and
> virtually complete absense of the 'cultural bias' of traditional tools.

SuperCollider is pretty much a synthesis engine as far as I know.
With extensive support for algorithmic compositio of course, but doesn't seem
to be the "composers workspace" that is the ambition.

However have you looked at:
common music
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/cm/doc/cm.html
lisp based , text controlled, also with a nice notation package

or

open music
http://freesoftware.ircam.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=15
graphical but also lisp-based. There is a port to linux on sourceforge CVS,
but I never got the required lisp stuff to work properly, but I didn't really
try hard.

or
http://musica.sourceforge.net/

Never tried it, but with your math background it might be interesting:
from their site:
"What is Musica?

Musica is an open source project that aims at the creation of a complete
Mathematica package for the exploration of the interconnection between
Mathematics and Music. "

and as an example of a small app that can be hooked into a system of small
apps to do it the unix-way

http://pages.infinit.net/linux/music/metropro.html
a complex multi tempo/meter metronome.

And of course always go to
http://www.linux-sound.org/

and browse for all the wonderful unfinished software that exists that almost
does what you think you wanted.

cheers

Gerard

--