[linux-audio-dev] Re: [OT] RFA

From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 16:21:18 EET

>> technical operations website: http://techweb.rfa.org/. techweb also
[ ... ]
>> I see an opportunity here for future use of numerous
>> linux audio applications in a working digital audio production facility
>> that puts out 36+ hours of programming each day. I would be honored and
>> excited if my new boss were to come from the linux audio community.

OK. Here is a project suggestion:

Remember the old days when Spectrum and Commodore computer software
was broadcasted through radio to computer users? This system could
be brought to this day using latest tech in coding. This would
make it possible to make forbidden webpages available to countries
who restrict the access.

People would need a simple and cheap radio receiver, and plug it to
the audio card. The signal coding would differ from communication
coding systems in that sample rate is limited to 44100 Hz and that
audio has more signal level resolution.

I invented this "Radio Internet" several years ago because Internet
costed (and still costs) too much and because the transfer direction
is mostly from Internet to home for personal users. The idea of using
this tech to broadcast Internet to China became a few months ago
after BBC World's Click Online show reported about the Internet
retrictions in China.

With non-cheap radio tech the transfer rate would not be limited to
the audio card properties, but simple and cheap might be better
when it comes to the freedom spreading.

Juhana