Re: [linux-audio-dev] Change midi device order?

From: <airplays55@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 01:41:22 EET

--- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 12:56, airplays55@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:
> > Is there a way for me to re-order the OSS (not
> alsa)
> > midi devices that show up from sndstat?
> >
> > The reason is I am using the SB-live! soundcard
> and am
> > unable to record input in rosegarden21 because it
> > records midi from the first device (#0) and I am
> > having somehow some kind of conflict resulting
> from 2
> > midi devices. Sndstat says:
> >
> > MIDI devices:
> > 0: Error: No such device or address
> > /dev/midi00 : Device or resource busy
> > 1: EMU10K1 MIDI
> >
> > I don't know why one soundcard results in 2
> drivers
> > but I'd like to disable the bad device or reorder
> > them.
> >
> > This is for knoppix (ALSA isn't an option) and and
> > have confirmed that midi output works (since
> playmidi
> > -e works) and that midi input works (by running a
> > short program that echo midi input to screen,
> using
> > /dev/midi)
>
> One trick I used a long time ago is to just rename
> the device files (or
> recreate them with mknod with swapped minor
> numbers).
>
> -- Fernando

I tried that, but sndstat says "sndstat:
ioctl(SNDCTL_SEQ_NRSYNTHS) failed: -1: Inappropriate
ioctl for device"

What I did was rename the devices, and also tried
recreating them with swapped minor numbers like so:

 mknod -m 666 /dev/sequencer c 14 2
 mknod -m 666 /dev/midi00 c 14 1
 ln -sf /dev/midi00 /dev/midi

The main problem is that I don't know why I have TWO
midi devices, if there's only one soundcard (sblive).
The motherboard has an onboard soundcard which is
disabled in the bios.

 0: Error: No such device or address
 /dev/midi00 : Device or resource busy
 1: EMU10K1 MIDI

Why does sndstat think that /dev/midi00 is busy? It
works with playmidi -e