Re: [linux-audio-dev] mux concept paper

From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 15:40:00 EET

Walco wrote:

> Hi Mimo,
>
>> I have put online the beginngs of a concept paper for an audio
>> program I have been wanting to write for quite a while now. I
>> wondered whether you could give me some feedback on it and share some
>> of your experiences with me. A while ago I decided to call this *mux*
>> where the name stands for nothing in particular. I have tested a
>> couple of similiar audio apps for linux recently, and then toyed
>> around with libraries I found on the net. I might be reinventing the
>> wheel once more, but that's up for discussion.. The paper is work in
>> progress, I'm hoping to add to it tomorrow night.
>> Looking forward to hear back from you and thanks for any input..
>> PS.: the paper is here http://mimo.gn.apc.org/mux/
>
> [snip]
> Another thing: I don't agree with the assessment in your paper that jack
> is heavy-weight - and I think jack is much more natural fit to your
> application as jackd has xrun detection, already provides means to set a
> lower samplerate and increase period size if your system can't put up
> with the load. IMHO jack is the way to go if your target platform is
> only Linux (or OSX & BSD), otherwise the cross-platform PortAudio may be
> more appropriate.

I'll chime in here. I've been testing Csound5 quite a lot lately, it
supports PortAudio (as well as ALSA and JACK) and PortMIDI. Frankly, I'm
not impressed with default realtime performance under PortAudio. I can
improve performance with some judicious buffer tweaks, but the native
ALSA driver is much better.

I also agree with Walco re: JACK weight.

Nevertheless, it's Linux, innit ? So you can do what you like... :)

Btw, mimo: Have you tried using Buzz under Linux ? I've had it working
quite nicely, it's a very impressive program, lots of fun. A native Buzz
would be most welcome.

Best,

dp